Thursday, December 30, 2004

Tools for software developers

Diomidis Spinellis is starting a new column in IEEE Software on "Tools of the Trade." It's well worth pondering.

"This new column aims to explore the interplay between software development and the tools we apply to the problem. Skilled craftsmen set themselves apart from amateurs by the tools they use and they way they employ them. As a professional, I feel I'm getting a tremendous boost in my productivity by appropriately applying tools to the software construction problems I face every day."

"So, how do the tools of our trade measure up? Pathetically, by many measures. Although the software industry is large and, dare I say it, mature, the software tool industry is still in its infancy."

"Economists track capital expenditures as a way to judge a country or sector's economic future. On the radar screen of these statistics, the cost of software development tools wouldn't amount to a single blip."

Labels:

2 Comments:

Comment by Blogger Paul McJones:

Is that Diomidis rather than Diomedis -- the fellow who wrote Code Reading? I see he also has a blog: http://www.dmst.aueb.gr/dds/blog/index.html.

4:58 PM  
Comment by Blogger Jim Horning:

"Diomidis Spinellis" it is. My transcription error.

Thanks for the blog pointer.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< NIASAWHIWB Home