Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Why didn't I think of that?

Mitt Romney, Presidential candidate and Governor of Massachussets, has come out against REAL ID for citizens. He thinks we should instead have an ID card for illegal aliens.

I think this idea has real potential. There are lots of other kinds of ID it would be good to have some people carry. Fees for issuing the IDs could even be a profit center for the states. Why not Terrorist IDs? Drug Dealer IDs? Burglar IDs? Drunk Driver IDs? Income Tax Evader IDs? Philanderer IDs? Bookie IDs? Democrat IDs?
"I've got a little list, I've got a little list."
When police wanted to make a quick judgement on a suspect, they could just check his/her collection of IDs, rather than looking her/him up in the database.

Of course it would be necessary to make it a federal crime not to carry and show all your IDs.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Comment by Blogger Debora Weber-Wulff:

I think you posted this to the wrong blog, Jim. Tell me this should be on the April Fool's blog!!

Like the first order of business for an illegal alien will be to get an ID card....

A while back I published an essay on life in a country that has national ID as a legal "alien": The holy personnr http://www.f4.fhtw-berlin.de/~weberwu/writings/HOLY.htm

Believe me, so many people believe people with numbers = good citizens = everyone who is not a bad guy. It just ain't true.

3:42 PM  
Comment by Blogger Jim Horning:

Nope, this is the blog I intended.

Of course, I put Mr. Romney's proposal a bit less convincingly than he tried to do...

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< NIASAWHIWB Home